Spelt Bread Recipe for a Bread Machine
Nutrition Highlights(per serving)
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||21%|
|Total Sugars 5g|
|Includes 5g Added Sugars||10%|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Prep10 min, Cook180 min
Servings10 (1 slice each)
Spelt is an ancient grain that's the great-grandfather of modern-day wheat. Spelt bread has a delicious nutty flavor that many think is superior to any other whole wheat or multi-grain bread. It's also high in dietary fiber, so it's an excellent whole grain to add to your diet.
You need a little oil for this recipe. We use canola oil for this recipe because it has almost no saturated fat and is one of the healthier cooking oils because it's high in omega-3 fats and monounsaturated fats, but you can use a different vegetable oil if you prefer.
Note:Spelt contains gluten, but it isn't as 'powerful' as the gluten found in wheat flour (especially bread flour), so it doesn't rise as high. It helps to keep an eye on the bread dough for the first few minutes. If the dough looks too runny, add a little more flour, and if it seems like it's too dry, add a tablespoon or two of water. Sometimes, despite your best efforts, the loaf doesn't rise properly and even falls when it bakes. The bread still tastes fine — it just looks a little sad.
If you don't want to risk a fallen loaf, feel free to add a tablespoon of vital wheat gluten to the recipe.
- 1 1/4 cup water (approximately 105 F)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- Pour water into bread machine loaf pan. Next, add salt, canola oil, and honey.
- Add the flour, in a mound shape, so some of it sticks up above the water (this is especially important if you set your bread machine to start later in the day — you want to keep the yeast away from the water until the dough begins to mix).
- With a spoon, make a small well in the center of the mound, and then pour the yeast into that well.
- Set bread maker to 1 1/2 pound loaf (basic setting) with a medium crust or see your manufacturer's instruction manual.
Video: Easy & Healthy Wholemeal Spelt Bread Recipe - bread maker / bread machine | Recipe Diary
The New Case for Eating Goat Meat
Medicaid enrollment, cost, outlook for expansion, work requirements
How to Make Fake Nails Out of Tape
How to Look Like Vanessa Anne Hudgens
7 Modern Etiquette Rules for Work
5 Ways To Use Eggshells In Your Garden
Ways the Place You Live Affects Your Health
Gorgeous Hairstyles for Thin Hair
Plus size lingerie: Stylish AND supportive underwear to shop now
Sleeping with Someone Who Has Herpes Here’s What You Need to Know
26 Cute Haircuts For Long Hair – Hairstyles Ideas