How to Make a Girl Laugh
Making a girl laugh is a great way to form a connection with her. If she’s smiling and laughing, you know she’s having fun! If you’re not sure how to make girls laugh, don’t worry -- you have tons of options. Build up a stock collection of funny stories and good one-liners, and don’t be afraid to be a little goofy sometimes. Try to get a feel for what she thinks is funny and skew your humor in that direction. When you aren’t around her, try sending a few hilarious texts to get her LOLing!
Being Funny in Conversation
Build up a repertoire of funny stories.While you don’t want your hilarious anecdotes to feel too staged, it’s a good idea to have a stock collection of amusing stories that you can reference in a pinch. Stick with general topics that are light and fun and try to avoid stories that are gross or intimate unless you know the girl well. Remember -- just because your friends think it’s hilarious doesn’t mean she will!
Memorize some quality one-liners.One-liners are not the tools to reach for when you want to show off your sharp wit, but they can be great when you want to be silly. The cornier, the better! You can make them about her or go with something more general. Avoid awkward one-liners that are sexual in nature though. Contrary to popular belief, girls don’t find those very funny -- you might even make her uncomfortable. A few examples of fun one-liners you can try:
- “Did you tie my shoelaces together? Because you got me trippin’ over you, girl!”
- “You have something beautiful on your face. Oh wait, that’s just you.”
- “A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing!”
Create your own style of humor by playing to your strengths.Think about stuff you do or say that cracks up your friends on a regular basis, especially your female friends. If you’re great at physical humor, go with that. If you're a master of mimicry and impersonations, give those a try. If sassy comebacks are your thing, try a few of those in her presence. Just make sure they’re lighthearted and not malicious!
- If you aren't sure what your strengths are, ask your friends.
Learn to laugh at yourself.Don’t go off the deep end with self-deprecation, but targeting some silly things about yourself may crack her up. Draw from your personal experiences or learn to poke fun at yourself in the moment. For example, if you trip over something when you’re walking with her, you could say, “Well, there goes my dream of becoming a runway model!” This lightens the mood and also shows her that you’re laidback and comfortable with yourself.
- Try not to rely on this tactic too heavily, since it can get awkward or just plain unfunny after a while. However, an occasional, well-placed joke at your own expense can be priceless.
- Expect your humor to fall flat on occasion. In these cases, use the bad joke to make another and get the conversation going again.
Make funny comments based on past conversations or situations with her.This can be something as simple as, “Remember that time in history class when…” and then filling in the blank with a good anecdote. Or try to make a funny comment based on something she’s told you before – not only will she laugh, but she’ll probably be flattered that you remembered that detail.
- For example, if she told you she loves fashion, ask for her professional fashion advice and describe a terrible or ridiculous outfit you’re planning to wear to an upcoming event.
Sending Funny Texts
Realize the potential of a hilarious meme.Memes aren’t always funny, but every now and then you probably run across one that’s comedy gold, right? When you do, save the image and send it to her via text. You won’t be able to hear her laugh, but you’ll probably get an all-caps “LOL” out of it! If you know she likes something in particular, look for memes on that specific topic.
- If she’s a Game of Thrones fanatic, for example, your options are practically endless! If she loves animals or fashion, look for memes about those things.
- Avoid sending her a constant barrage of memes, though. Some people may find this annoying or just plain weird.
Send her links to funny YouTube videos.Look for clips of stand-up comedians, for example, especially if they’re riffing on something you know she likes or finds funny! Or you can go with something simpler, like a collection of animal bloopers or a scene from her favorite comedy television show.
- For example, if you know she loves the TV showUnbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, you can definitely find some amusing clips to send to make her smile.
- Try to avoid sending these to her constantly, but every once in a while a funny video will no doubt crack her up.
Take a silly picture of yourself and slap a funny Snapchat filter over it.This isn’t exactly a fresh tactic, but it can still be pretty hilarious! There are tons of filters to choose from, so go through and experiment with a couple. If you find yourself doubled over in laughter after creating one, it’s highly likely that she’ll also think it’s funny.
- She may even reciprocate with one of her own to keep the joke going!
- You could also send her funny photos of yourself, like baby photos.
Using the Right Kind of Humor
Choose the right time for humor.When it comes to being funny, timing is everything! This is especially true when it comes to the situation at hand. For example, if one of you knocks over a drink at a restaurant, that’s a great time to make a silly joke – it’ll lighten the mood. If she’s upset about something going on in her life, though, tread carefully.
- If her pet just died or she failed a math test, trying to cheer her up with witty one-liners may fall flat or possibly upset her more.
- If you're going through something or just not feeling particularly funny that day, don't try to force it.
Try to get a feel for what she finds funny and work with that.Every girl is different, so try to adapt to her personality to make her laugh. Ask her simple questions to gather the intel you need. For example, you could say something like, “Did you watch Stephen Colbert last night?” If she says yes, she probably likes political satire! If she brings up a certain movie or television show, work with that type of humor.
- For example, if she mentions Portlandia or an episode of SNL, that gives you an idea of what she likes.
Keep the tone light.Some girls love dark humor and sarcastic comebacks, so if you are certain she’s into that, go for it! In general, though, it’s better for everyone if you keep things light and fun. Being sarcastic or cynical right off the bat might come off as aggressive or weird. If you’re dropping gallows humor nonstop, she might eventually get tired of that vibe or feel that it’s just a bummer in general.
- Definitely avoid making sarcastic remarks aimed at her, especially if you don’t know her well.
Laugh with her and not at her.Laughter is infectious and enjoying a humorous situation together can help cement your bond or make her more attracted to you. However, make sure you're not laughing at her expense. If you're laughing and having a good time, you want her to be doing the same.
- Mimicking her sense of humor is one way to laugh with her. If it's risqué, for example, use off-color humor, too. Keep it natural if you can: if your humor is naturally sunny and gentle, adopting a dark, sarcastic style could come across as forced.
- Only follow her lead once you're sure of her style of humor. Forgive nervous silliness on her behalf if she seems unsure of how to react.
- Ask about her favorite comedians, funny movies, or sitcoms. Watch or reference them when you are together to help stimulate a relaxed and funny atmosphere.
Using Humor in Conversations with a Girl
QuestionWhat if she is reserved?wikiHow Staff EditorStaff AnswerKeep your humor general and light and try to get a feel for what she likes before you start cracking jokes. Definitely avoid jokes that are gross, graphic, religious or sexual in nature!Thanks!
QuestionHow can I make a girl that I like laugh? She doesn't laugh at some of my jokes when I tell them.wikiHow Staff EditorStaff AnswerTake note of what she didn't find funny with your previous jokes and avoid jokes like that in the future. Try to get a feel for what she likes and thinks is funny, then tailor your jokes to fit those subjects. Keep your jokes lighthearted and just try to have fun with her!Thanks!
QuestionHow would you attempt to make her laugh over the phone? Would talking often help or is there a type of humor that floats around to every girl?wikiHow Staff EditorStaff AnswerMost of the same humor that works in person will translate over the phone really well! Get a feel for the topics she thinks are funny and try to keep your tone lighthearted and fun. Tell funny stories from your past or amusing things that happened to you that day. Avoid picking on her or aiming your jokes at her personally.Thanks!
QuestionWhat if a girl that doesn't want to talk to you or listen to you at all?wikiHow Staff EditorStaff AnswerIf that's the case, you may just want to curb your attempts to make her laugh and move on. Some other girl out there will appreciate your wit!Thanks!
One easy way to make a girl laugh is to kindly tease her about something. For example, you could jokingly say, "You seem like a bad influence, I don't know if I should be friends with you." Make sure you smile so she knows you're kidding around! You can also make her laugh by telling her funny stories about yourself, like a time when you did something embarrassing or a story about your pet being hilarious. Just remember to keep the tone light and to avoid telling jokes when she's upset about something.
- Keep the humor relative to the girl and the context.
- Use fresh material and current affairs as sources of inspiration for your humor.
- Develop an easy to learn catchphrase or gimmick (called an "inside joke") that she can repeat, thus making her seem part of your special joke together.
- Watch some stand-up comedy shows to get a feel of comedic timing. Keep notes of anything funny that you think might work in your situation.
- If you want to flirt over text or even a group chat, just have a regular conversation with some light comedy directed towards her. Simple as that.
Sources and Citations
Upload a picture for other readers to see.
In other languages:
Español: , Deutsch: , Português: , Nederlands: , Français: , Italiano: , Русский: , 中文: , Čeština: , Bahasa Indonesia: , العربية: , Tiếng Việt: , ไทย: , 한국어: , 日本語:
Video: How to Make a Girl Laugh | 5 Tips from a Comedian
How to Write Academically
How To Set Yourself Up For The Perfect Meditation Session
13Superb Wedding Stories That Newlyweds Will Never Forget
What is the prognosis of Bowel Obstruction
How to Find People Online
How To Wear: The Tuxedo Jacket
You Reported Sexual Harassment, Now What Bumbles Whitney Wolfe Herd Offers Advice
Women pickier over partners
5 Things To Do Before Cutting Your HairShort
Daring Lip Colors Approved By Celebrities
40 James Dean Tattoo Designs For Men – American Actor Ink Ideas
4 Step Guide To Slim-Fit Suits For Men
Brioni Appoints Justin OShea As New Creative Director
Miko Spinelli Bomber Jackets