15 Strict Parents Who Took Things Too Far
There's no shortage of parents with clever and creative ways of disciplining their kids. For instance, this mom who had the most genius solution for getting her kids to do their chores, or the brilliant parents who created these fun chore charts. It's clear that kids thrive when consistent boundaries are set, but for every tough yet loving parent, there's also a guardian who goes overboard with severe rules and expectations. In this Reddit thread, commenters reveal the craziest ways some parents have tried to control their kids. Some of the worst include:
1. The dad who chose all of his daughter's outfits."My best childhood friend wasn't allowed to pick out her own clothes," revolutionator wrote. "Her crazy controlling father still insisted on laying out her outfit for the next day." This went on until she was 17, the commentor explained.
2. The parents who were anti-bread."I have a friend whose parents thought she ate too much bread so they banned her from having any," alpacaria wrote, "and grounded her for two weeks when they caught her sneaking toast. This was when we were 15." Perhaps they wanted to encourage healthier eating? But everyone craves a good sandwich now and then!
3.The parents who didn't let their child have "bad guy" action figures."I ended up drawing the bad guys on cardboard and having the worst battles ever," Reddit user prstele01 wrote. The writer didn't explain why their parents implemented this rule, although we suspect they didn't want their child exposed to any sort of bad influence. Regardless, this seems a bit much.
4. The dad with a crazy curfew rules.One commentor revealed that if his friend wasn't home by 9:00 pm, then his dad would lock him out for the night. "He had to walk to my house on multiple occasions just to find a place to sleep," subjectseven wrote.
5. The parents that forced their kids to clean their plates.It's one thing to encourage kids to eat enough food and the right kinds of food, but this seems drastic. "We weren't allowed to leave the table until we finished every single bite of food on our plate," aryst0krat wrote. "If we stayed there until bedtime, it'd be there for breakfast in the morning."
6. The aunt who disapproved of Harry Potter.Oh no, not Harry Potter! "My aunt tried to convince my mom that I shouldn't be reading Harry Potter when I was 11 or so," one commenter wrote, "and had this printed list of comments from 'real parents' whose kids had turned to witchcraft and left the church after reading it."
7. The parents who control all of their child's spending."My friend is starting university this year and he still doesn't have access to his personal bank account with all his money saved from working during high school," magikarpwins wrote. "His parents also chose the car he had to buy with his own money." Come on, mom and dad! Even if your child mismanages their money, they're still learning and growing from the experience.
8. The parents who monitored gas mileage."When I finally got a car, they tracked the miles every day down to a tenth of a mile to make sure I was only going to school and back, not stopping at gas stations, whatever," triemers wrote. "The few times I did? Grounded and had to walk to school (11 miles)."
9. The parent who dictated their child's college plans.One writer shared that his brother's girlfriend is only allowed to apply to certain universities and apply to particular programs approved by her parents—but it gets worse. "Her mother took away her password for the university applications website and locked it in her jewelry box to ensure that she doesn't secretly apply for a different university," go-with-the-flo wrote.
10. The parent that avoids PDA to extremes."I used to have sleepovers at a friend's house, and her father would sit with us to watch our movies, and fast forward PG-rated kissing scenes," haunted_leg wrote. "We were 17."
11. The parents who never forgot an innocent mistake."I wasn't allowed to chew gum until I turned 18 because I got gum stuck in my hair when I was six," 545pm wrote.
12. The parents who held back their child."My mom didn't believe I was smart enough for AP classes in high school," flippinandfloppin wrote. "Whenever I was recommended for one, she made me switch to on-level." The commenter explained that his mom was so afraid of him failing a more difficult class, yet gave him her own supplemental homework to do anyway—yikes!
13. The parents obsessed with failure."My whole time in grade school, my parents never once put up a good grade or drawing of mine on the fridge," one Reddit user wrote. "The only thing they ever put up there was my first (and only) F, to remind me that failure sticks with you."
14. The parents who fear fast-food."My daughter had a birthday party at McDonald's," marxychick1 wrote. "One of her friends wasn't allowed to attend because she wasn't allowed to eat anything that was non-organic. Made me so sad for her. Sure, eating fast food is bad for you, but for a party?"
15. The parents who made it possible to punish their kids with the flick of a switch."My parents had an electrician install two circuits in our house, one for the children's bedrooms and one for the rest of the house," minnieelibrarian wrote.
Video: 15 Rules The Kardashian Kids MUST Follow
Are Dolls Finally Starting To Represent Real Girls
6 Weight-Loss Strategies That Are Screwing With Your Poop Schedule
12 Superfoods For Healthy Hair
Gluten-Free Is Not a Weight Loss Diet
Synvisc One Reviews
What Working At A Fashion Magazine Is Really Like
Blake Lively Reveals Why Shes Not Afraid of Ageing
10 Things Orthopedists Do Every Day For Stronger Bones
Keeping Your Brain Nimble and Memory Strong as You Age
Top 12 Fruits For Hair Growth
Royal Family, le 8 donne che hanno fatto (e faranno) la Storia
How to Overtake Another Vehicle
How to Make Email HIPAA Compliant